Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"SEXING" CHRISTINA

I dedicated an R&B song to Christina Garcia. I was only 11 and I thought I could get my childhood love to at least like me. My older sister used to listen to R&B music and this one song in particular used to get her and her girlfriends to talk about boys in a way that I wanted Christina to talk about me. Things like “I wish he were here,” “He’s so cute,” “We danced to this song,” and others things I will not mention. So I stole the cassette tape from my sister’s silver boom-box with the huge speakers, put on my Casio watch and headed over to Christina’s house where a few of us from school were gathering for an afternoon. Yes, her mother was home but we were all hanging out in the family room where we could just be kids in private and play Atari. All I could think about is pulling Christina away into the den where the stereo was, play the cassette, and dedicate the song to her. Finally, with enough courage I told her to follow me into the den.

There we were all alone in the den. It was the moment of truth. I inserted the white cassette into the tape deck, pressed play, and said, “Christina I dedicate this song to you.” The song started playing, loudly. Christina looked at me with confusion and embarrassment. I suddenly felt my blood rush through my veins making me dizzy. In comes Christina’s Mother, Mrs. Garcia, “What the heck is going on in here?” she said with urgency. I told her I was just playing a song I wanted her daughter to hear. She quickly ejected the tape, then paused and looked at the tape for a moment. She then started to walk away and said she would make sure my mother got the tape back. Although she didn’t ask me if the tape was mine or not, I guess she realized an 11 year old couldn’t be the owner of such music. She ordered us to go and play with the other kids. After the initial fear subsided, Christina smiled at me from across the room. It was magic. I also remembered that for one moment while Mrs. Garcia held the tape in her hand she had a slight smirk on her face. It turned out that Christina’s mother loved that artist and song. In the end, I scored! Well not in that way, but in a way that was going to live on in my heart for a very long time. It was a scary road I took but I got Christina to smile at me and later I heard her girlfriend say that Christina thought I was “cool.” Sometimes you just have to take a risk, not give a sh*t and go for the one you want. I also realized that no matter the age, most women cannot resist a soulful song dedication. This is the song I dedicated to Christina.

6 comments:

  1. YOU'RE MY HERO! The Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's where you get your Casanova moves ;)
    Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, the first song I dedicated to a girl was Berry White's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love"...but that's tame in comparison, you went straight for it! Marvin Gaye? I would've never had the guts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you this is one of your sisters.. This is cute, ok dont tell anyone which sister it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, of course i won't.. glad you like it and realize what an impact you and the other had on me... : mostly good , haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is funny! Did you have any clue what this song even meant? Ha Crazy kids.

    ReplyDelete